Many people only think about going to the doctor’s office when they get sick or injured. However, even the healthiest adults need routine health care.
What Are the Benefits?
Primary care is meant to manage your day-to-day health needs. As such, a primary care provider (PCP) can help you stay healthy by being the first to treat any health concerns.
Primary care offers several benefits, including the following:
- It addresses a wide range of health problems. Your PCP can handle various health care needs. You can discuss current symptoms, medications and vaccinations all in one appointment.
- It offers referrals to specialists. health conditions may require specialist care. Your PCP can give referrals for such care and coordinate information among providers.
- It manages existing health conditions. Routine care is a great way to manage chronic diseases, such as arthritis, asthma, diabetes and high cholesterol.
- It detects problems early. Regular exams and screenings can help identify your risk factors or spot health issues before they become more serious.
- It fosters a doctor-patient relationship. Your PCP should serve as a partner in your ongoing health journey, so finding someone you can trust and talk openly with is essential.
- It lowers your health care costs. Primary care offers high-quality services and can help address health problems in the early stages, often lowering overall health care costs.
It’s vital to take charge and feel empowered about your health. Start by finding yourself a healthcare ally such as your AHW health coach and scheduling routine checkups with your primary care physician.
For information on effective and preventive wellness programs, contact us.